St. Petersburg is a city that is quietly becoming known across the globe as a city of innovation and high standards. It is the first American city to be designated a GREEN city. The designation is earned through Florida Green Building Coalition using LEED criteria and partnerships with Florida Green Building Coalition, Green Building Council and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Living here, you get the sense that there is a deep level of care in the quality of life for this generation and future generations living in what locals affectionately refer to as, “The ‘Burg.”
Here are a few of the sustainability initiatives:
- Water Conservation
- LEED standards for new construction
- Fuel-efficient cars in city fleet
- Conversion of traffic signal lights to LED saving energy lighting
- Waste to energy plant
- Increasing use of solar power
- Green space preservation with 2,292 acres of park land
- Building largest bike/ped path in Southeast US
- Named Florida’s best walking city by Prevention magazine
- Street sweeping and street scaping with trees and flowering plants
And the list goes on and on. But what truly makes this city green are the people that live here. THEY LOVE TO BE OUTSIDE!!! And the City of St. Pete makes sure that when they do it will be easy for them to get around and lovely for all to experience.
Move here… New condos at www.thesalvador.com
More info on the Green City designation at: http://www.stpete.org/stpete/Discovery_Presentation.pdf